The gym can be a costly expenditure, especially if you don’t make use of your membership. For people like me, I honestly cannot squeeze gym visits into my schedule, I have no one to watch the little lady while I sweat my backside off on a cross trainer for a couple of hours.
Instead I have found alternatives that suit me perfectly and work just as well
1) Plain old running, I can venture out for half an hour in the morning. With my ipod and a good pair of running shoes, I’m happy enough to just plod along.
2) Work out dvd’s, generally I’m not a huge fan of them but I love, love, LOVE the Insanity P90X workout. When the little one goes to bed, I can pop in the DVD and away I go. There are so many work out videos available that there is something for everyone, even if its calm and relaxing yoga and Pilates to strengthen your core to the highly energetic Zumba. I’ve found my workouts are better with a really supportive pair of running shoes like Reebok running trainers, they make all the difference and help prevent those tired aching feet after a good workout.
3) At home workouts, simple and effective. Crunches, squats, lunges, tightening and strengthening. Anything that you can do at the gym, you can do from the comfort of your own home. Kettlebells are amazing things and perfect for exercising at home and fairly cheap to like from brands like Reebok
4) Swimming, swimming is a really good way of keeping fit and the best part is that you can take the kids along to. They will have just as much fun splashing around whilst you are toning those glutes and thighs in the water.
5) Dance classes, yup I said it, My aunt loves her weekly Zumba class. It’s a fun and energetic way to keep fit
6) Home fitness equipment, it doesn’t have to be the kind that costs £1000’s. A skipping rope, fitness mat, kettlebells, a second hand cross trainer and a gym ball would be all you need to get a fab workout at home to target all those niggly areas.
It’s not easy, the benefit of the gym is that when you are there it makes sense to work out but at home there are so many other temptations to just say “perhaps I’ll leave it for tonight” You have to have the determination to do it.