Nothing excites me more than chocolate and cake so with today being international chocolate day, lets combine the two for our eating delights.
I bring you a scrummy yummy chocolate cake!
- 85g butter or margarine, softened
- 250g sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 100g Cocoa Powder (I used Cadburys)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups water
For the Buttercream Frosting
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
400g powdered sugar
70g Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 4/180C.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans (the ones with the loose bottoms)
- In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat together until smooth.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder
- Add the dry mixture alternately with water to butter mixture, beating until you have a runny blended batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden prick when inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Remove the cakes from the pans to wire racks and allow to cool completely
- When the cakes are cool, assemble and smoother in the butter cream frosting
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate if desired (I enjoy a good flake on mine)