- A person’s father or mother:the parents of the bridehis adoptive parents
- Archaic a forefather or ancestor.
- An animal or plant from which new ones are derived.
- A source or origin of a smaller or less important part.
- [Often as modifier] an organization or company which owns or controls a number of subsidiaries:policy considerations were determined largely by the parent company
Verb[with object] (often as noun parenting)
- Be or act as a mother or father to (someone).
Late Middle English: from Old French, from Latin parent- ‘bringing forth’, from the verb parere. The verb dates from the mid-17th century